Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Off to Dubai

We. Are. Off.

...to Dubai. And then Africa. Zambia's my main destination, but I'll be in Dubai for two days on a layover.

"Wow, Tim, great idea stopping in a cool city like Dubai. Extra explorations."

Not really. This was the cheapest option to Zambia. Flights this time of year are outrageous, and Africa in particular is even worse. It's because of the lack of airlines/flight options throughout the continent. Stupid Africa.

But actually I'm finding that layovers are a great way to see places you wouldn't normally visit, especially cities that you kind-of want to see but don't think you would ever spend more than a couple days in. Dubai is one of these places.

I'm flying out of Boston and could have connected through Amsterdam, London, or Johannesburg (and Dubai obviously). These are the usual suspects for Southern African connections, so if you're not in a rush it's actually a bonus to get to see these cities, although they are probably worthy of more than a layover.

The best airline option for me was Emirates. You've seen it on FIFA '16 soccer uniforms, and I buy every bit of  the hype. It's a sick airline. The flight attendants wear cool red hats that look uncomfortable, and the meals are superb. As I type I'm eating one of three hot meals 6,000 feet in the air. I also just burned my tongue on Turkish coffee.

Anyway, one of the main motivations for this trip is to see my Aunt and Uncle who live in Zambia. My uncle is a neurologist, and my aunt works for the Clinton Foundation. They both do amazing work and research.

Once I get to Lusaka, we will hit the road the next morning, because my two little cousins are on winter break. Basically I am going on a trip to go on another trip. I'll get to experience some of the coolest parts of Zambia, and even venture into Zimbabwe and Botswana. Victoria Falls, Chobe National Park, and my uncle's friend's 200 acre tobacco farm, where we will supposedly hunt warthogs. More to come...

Over and out. There's Wifi for a dollar on Emirates so I'm gonna go ahead and publish this one.

See you in Dubai.


No comments:

Post a Comment